Posted: Mon Aug. 31, 2009 1:09 pm
Edited: Mon Aug. 31, 2009 3:38 pm
[b:9ed9560f1c]First the thank you's:[/b:9ed9560f1c]
A big thank you to Helen! I simply would not want to do this ride without your support and keen eye on the camera.
Thank you to Dan & Mark for supplying the transportation.
Thank you to Brian for organizing the ride.
Thank you for a great group of people to spend the day with.
Thank you to D's Doghouse & Tavern in Grandville, VT for an enlightened bathroom at a key moment.
After 3 years of completing all 4 Gaps I can say without hesitation that for me the climbs are extremely difficult and even torturous at times. Perhaps what keeps me coming back for more punishment is the satisfaction I get from knowing I reached the top, the knowledge that on the other side is an equally long downhill, the comradery and encouragement of friends, or maybe it's just a mental defect. Whatever the reason, no matter how badly I feel during, in retrospect I'm always happy I did it. Perhaps it's pushing myself to the brink that makes all the good things in life that much sweeter.
- Good Friends
- Good Weather
- The downhill paved runout to Rt 17 after Lincoln Gap
- The App Gap Descent
- Pushing Hard on Rt 100 heading to lunch
- A great spot to have lunch
- Middlebury Gap Descent and passing a car at high speed
- Summitting Brandon Gap and knowing it's an easy descent to the finish.
- Descending Brandon Gap alone taking my time and enjoying the low sun angle playing off the beautiful mountain landscape.
- Completing the ride one more time.